Andrea Summerville

Andrea Summerville (34).jpg

City Council, City of Laramie

What personal accomplishment are you most proud of?

I have completed a rigorous bachelor's degree in music from UW while working 60 hours per week, traveled the country as a special agent, have three beautiful children and was most recently elected to serve the Laramie community as a Council Member. All have been personal triumphs and important points in my life and it is hard to choose just one!

What is your primary personal development goal/business goal for the next 5 years?

I want to continue to serve the Laramie and Wyoming community as a public servant. Most important will be advocacy for women, families and students, making sure that we address policies that will help our state grow and be an attractive place for younger people to make their lives.

What is your biggest philanthropic achievement?

A Council Member position is what you make of it. I have worked very hard to try to make sure that Laramie's residents government is seen, available and responsive to resident concerns. I donate 20-30 hours per week to Council, community advocacy and community projects. Although not philanthropic is a sense of money, I hope that my donation of time, energy and dedication to community projects and advocacy has made a difference in the Laramie community.

What action/event that you've been a part of, that you believe has made the biggest difference in Laramie?Or are you most proud of?

I have to cite two: The recent formation of the Laramie Town Gown Association is one of the biggest accomplishments since I have served on Council. This group has the possibility to bring students into the light as Laramie residents, help to promote good off campus educational experiences to long term residents and students alike and probably most important- bring all of the major stakeholders in Laramie to the same table: City of Laramie, Albany County, University of Wyoming, Wyotech and LCCC.

Second would be the passage of the LGBT Anti-Discrimination ordinance in May 2015. This was a historic moment for Laramie, Wyoming as a state and the spark that has ignited several resolutions across Wyoming cities and renewed state interest in equal rights protection at the state level.

What excites you most about the future of Laramie?

Wyoming is on the cusp of a historic change in it's economy which I believe will significantly alter Wyoming's future. Laramie has the ability to help lead this transformation. We have the brain power to bring new ideas to the table, the ability to educate and foster a new generation of entrepreneurs and showcase what a community can do, not necessarily with money - which we don't have, but with a combined community spirit dedicated to our future!

What do you think has helped make you successful in your endeavors?

Attitude, perseverance and great mentors along the way. I've always believed that 90% of anyone's success is decided by their attitude and hard work, and the other 10% by chance.

What advice would you give to other young professionals in Laramie?

Be passionate about your profession. If you're not passionate about what you are doing, then do something else if you can. When things get tough, always remember to reflect on the reason you are there- your mission, your big picture goals, what took you there in the first place. It's our turn to step up, let's not disappoint.